The Student News Site of South Dade High School

The Current

The Current

The Current

Band Brings Holiday Cheer During Weekend Full of Performances

Dakota Montalvo

With two major performances in two days, the Buccaneer Band had a tiring yet rewardingly busy weekend, holding its second annual Holiday Music Festival Fundraiser at Robert is Here on Saturday and participating in the Junior Orange Bowl parade on Sunday.

“It’s been a real whirlwind, but the kids are very committed and they have been since the beginning of the year,” band director Sarah Cordero said.

At Robert is Here, the band welcomed the community and spread holiday cheer with their performances of different Christmas songs, cookie decorating, and a picture with Santa. With performances every hour on the hour from the different bands and performance groups, like the cheer team and Dashing Dolls, the crowd was kept excited and in the holiday spirit.

After the day was over, the Junior Orange Bowl was the topic of focus. While it wasn’t the first time the band played in the parade, it was still something they needed a little bit of extra attention for.

With a new practice schedule, the band spent two days preparing for their last few performances of the calendar year.

“We’ve had two practices this week to prepare, but the kids know that being in the band in general is a huge commitment. After the new year, they’re getting some rest before we start focusing more on our indoor band,” Cordero said.

Even though the performances added an element of stress to their week, the close-knit band members’ bond only grew stronger with each performance.

“It can be stressful having a lot on our schedules because sometimes they don’t have all of our stuff set up when we get there and we have to move around a lot,” drum major Lakeem Davis said, “But it’s fun to get to perform with each other because we’re together all the time and we’re all doing something we love.”